Putting outcomes before solutions, being outcome-oriented, and the language of outcomes as an essential leadership discipline.
Leading with Outcomes is the gateway to a style of leadership that’s simultaneously purposeful, strategic, and developmental. You’ll learn how to explore a landscape of obstacles and outcomes, broadening horizons and identifying opportunities for progress. And you’ll learn how to make space in that process for people and teams to express themselves and for solutions to emerge at the right time.
About the course
In this hands-on online 4-week course we practice both meanings of “Leading with outcomes”:
- Putting outcomes before solutions, being outcome-oriented
- The language of outcomes as an essential leadership discipline
Also known as the IdOO! workshop, at its heart is the IdOO pattern, short for Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes. Demonstrating its power and flexibility we use this pattern twice, implementing it with a range of different tools over the two sessions.
Whatever your role, if you’re in the business of encouraging innovation, change, and transformation – helping people engage meaningfully in change-related work – then this workshop is for you. Our short training workshops Strategic Mapping with Outcomes and Probe! are ideal followups.
Among this workshop’s sources and inspirations are Clean Language, Solutions Focus, Challenge Mapping, Lean, and Agile. The Agendashift™ delivery assessment is included in the second session.
This workshop is entirely self-paced. Afterwards, we will introduce you to opportunities to practice your skills with others.
1. Discovery: Describing where we'd like to get to
Weeks 1 and 2.
Establishing organisational context and high-level objectives, obstacles, and outcomes using these exercises (and more):
- Celebration-5W – our context-setting kickoff exercise
- True North / Obstacles – reflection, followed by obstacle generation and refinement
- 15-minute FOTO (Lite) – the introductory version of our Clean Language-inspired coaching game
- Plan on a Page – organising the outcomes produced in the preceding exercises
2. Exploration: Prospecting for opportunities
Weeks 3 and 4.
Prospecting for opportunities, practicing skills acquired in the first session and reinforcing the IdOO pattern as we dig into the detail:
About Agendashift™, the wholehearted, outcome-oriented engagement model
In the vanguard of a new category, the engagement model
You can’t upgrade your organisation like you’re upgrading your email server! Traditional change management’s track record on cultural and other adaptive challenges is so disastrous that it’s time to carve out a new category, the engagement model.
Engagement models have just three jobs to do:
- To structure and support the work of those who would encourage innovation, change, and transformation
- To help the organisation engage its staff meaningfully in change-related work
- To keep the organisation’s parts engaged with each other as they change
If any of those jobs are yours too, you’d want an approach that encourages engagement, not destroys it!
Outcomes all the way down, outcome-oriented
Agendashift deals coherently, humanely, and strategically with outcomes ranging from the most aspirational of goals to the impact of the smallest experiment, and everything in between. With outcomes generated, organised, and developed through participation, agreement on outcomes is a natural part of the process; solutions follow as they should on a just-in-time basis.
Because we enjoy its broad range, we prefer not to define outcome too tightly. Here though are some helpful starting points:
- Someone’s need met (see also our definition of done and the first of our principles)
- A story’s happy ending
- The way the world changed for someone
Shared examples of outcomes such as these – both real and imagined – help to connect everyday work to mission, purpose, and strategy. That’s what makes outcomes so powerful!
We’re in the business of building wholehearted organisations
Our mission: Helping organisations grow in wholeheartedness – to become less at war with themselves, their obstacles, imbalances, and contradictions identified and owned, value and meaning created through authentic engagement.
What you'll get
- Online access to the self-paced Agendashift Leading with Outcomes course on academy.agendashift.com
- The content contains four modules, one per week for four weeks
- Text and video content produced by Agendashift founder Mike Burrows
- You will receive a certificate of participation after completing the course
- Online access to a course participants forum on academy.agendashift.com
- Access the course from PC´s, Mac´s, tablets, and mobile phones (apps available for iOS and Android)
Terms and conditions
- You will have online access to the course and the course participants forum for three months after the date of purchase
- There are separate rules for the course participants forum
- To be able to do the exercises you will use Miro and Google Docs.
- No refunds after purchase.
- Payment is handled by Humanize AS in Norway (an Agendashift partner).
- Terms, Privacy, and Disclaimer