Leading with Outcomes: Foundation
Gateway to the Agendashift Academy's core curriculum
Whether it's the big strategy occasion, an everyday interaction, or something in between, don't waste your opportunities to lead with outcomes!
Developed for leaders at all levels – senior sponsor, manager, team lead, consultant, or coach – Leading with Outcomes: Foundation is your ideal introduction to the language of outcomes, its philosophy, its skills, and its role in your organisation's transformation.
Module #1 of an integrated programme centred on leadership, strategy, and outcomes
With yearly and monthly Agendashift for Business and Agendashift for Individuals subscriptions, there's an affordable plan to suit youSubscribe today
“Very practical, highly participative – learning by doing. I can see so many opportunities to use the approach and tools in my work”
“You inspired people and got them talking – couldn’t have asked for more”
“Combines concepts I previously found challenging in a way that not only makes sense but is highly useful”
“I left motivated and confident enough to try these exercises the next day”
“Expertly and confidently helps you learn how to get from strategy to execution and back again”
“Intensely practical with solid theoretical foundations”
Leading in a transforming organisation is hard enough
Even when vision, the aspiration, and the initiatives are all there, you’re up against three universal challenges:
- People disengaged by the repeated failure of imposed solutions
- Hidden systems reinforcing old behaviours, driving the same old results
- The crucial innovations failing to materialise
The doubts have been there for decades, and now we're calling it: traditional solution-driven approaches to change are making things harder, not easier.
The alternative: leading with outcomes. Meaningful outcomes, authentic agreement – the right people in the room agreeing on outcomes meaningful to them, articulating them in their own words. Big outcomes, small outcomes, outcomes organised into strategy, outcomes people can organise around, outcomes that tell you when you winning. Outcomes the focus for innovation, solutions not the beginning or end of strategy but emerging at the right time from the people closest to the problem.
You'll be learning the language of outcomes, how to generate them, how to organise them, how to pursue them in the context of strategies you and your colleagues develop together. You'll be learning also the patterns that organise the tools, make them memorable, and help you integrate what works for you already. And motivating the patterns: leadership principles, each one a strategy for getting better at strategy.
Learning by doing:
- You'll be developing strategy yourself while learning how strategy works as a participatory process
- With each successive module you'll be gaining fluency in the language of outcomes, learning a range of tools you can use every day
- Along the way, plenty of opportunity to reflect on your organisation and your relationship with it
What sets us apart – the fundamentals
Three principles guide everything we do:
- Keep asking the agreement on outcomes question:
What if we put agreement on outcomes ahead of solutions?
- Keep bringing outcomes to the foreground
- Keep finding new places for strategy to happen
For the big strategy occasions, for those everyday interactions, and for everything in between, we help leaders at all levels put those principles into practice:
- Having the kinds of conversations that too often get missed
- Working backwards from key moments of impact and learning
- Engaging with their organisations in all of their complexity
What's in Foundation?
A structure that mirrors that of Leading with Outcomes as a whole, a chapter for each of the remaining modules. Much more than a taste of what's in store, you'll be developing strategy as you begin to learn the language of outcomes.
1. Inside-out Strategy: Fit for maximum impact
Introducing the IdOO ("I do") pattern – Ideal, Obstacles, Outcomes – as you develop your own inside-out strategy, one that begins with your organisation's internal experience and capability.
- Inside-out strategy: what, who, why, and how
- Context is key
- Ideal: Envision a compelling future
- Obstacles: Identify present challenges
- Outcomes: Look beyond to what's better
- Organise the strategy – your inside-out OKRs
2. Outside-in strategy: Positioned for success
Get started on your outside-in (customer-first) strategy:
- Why outside-in strategy: What it is and why we do it
- Ideal (I): Customer
- Ideal (II): Organisation
- Ideal (III): Product
- Obstacles & outcomes
- Organise the strategy – your outside-in OKRs
3. Adaptive Organisation: Business agility at every scale
Your first introduction to the Deliberately Adaptive Organisation
- The Deliberately Adaptive Organisation
- A quick organisational evaluation
- At the human level: Adaptive and developmental
4. Innovating for performance: Ideation, experimentation, and feedback
From developing strategy to pursuing it:
- Experimentation as the engine of progress
- From outcomes to ideas
- Forming a hypothesis you can test
- Making more of your feedback opportunities
Is this for me?
If any of these apply:
- You're a leader in a transforming organisation
- You desire change and want it approached in the right way
- You aspire to leadership
- You have something to contribute to the strategy process
- You support others in that journey
Brought to you by Agendashift Academy co-founder and three-time author Mike Burrows
Mike's pioneering work in the pursuit of the wholehearted and deliberately adaptive organisation brings a needs-based and outcome-oriented perspective to leadership, strategy, and transformation.
Mike has real-world experience as a global leader in world-class organisations and clients in government, finance, industry, and the not-for-profit sectors.
Part of something bigger
Included in your subscription: all four modules of Leading with Outcomes, the Agendashift Academy’s core curriculum. Take them at your own pace and join a growing community of leaders in transforming organisations who are learning to put outcomes before solutions.
The modules in recommended order:
- Leading with Outcomes: Foundation (this module)
- Inside-out Strategy: Fit for maximum impact
- Outside-in Strategy: Positioned for success
- Adaptive Organisation: Business agility at every scale (from autumn 2022)
7-DAY FREE TRIAL
Choose below from plans for businesses and individuals, each with yearly and monthly options.
If you aren’t completely satisfied with Leading with Outcomes, just cancel your subscription before the end of your trial period.
Up and down your transforming organisation, people learning to lead with outcomes. Easy and cost-effective access for every leader and aspiring leader in your business, with benefits not available to individual subscribers.
Frequently asked Questions
How Leading with Outcomes works for you